The University of the West Indies (UWI) Toronto Benefit Awards is an extraordinary event on the Toronto social calendar that brings together corporate, public and individual supporters for an inspiring evening of giving, sharing and celebrating.
The event supports a scholarship fund for outstanding academic achievers in the Caribbean, who lack the funds necessary to realize their fullest potential. It also recognizes greatness and tireless work through our honourees...who continue to shine a light of hope for the next generation. Past honourees include award winning author Mr. Malcolm Gladwell, Dr. The Hon. Harry Belafonte, Shaggy, Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu, Former Deputy Chief of Toronto Police Mr. Keith L. Forde, Dr. David Rudder, Dr. The Hon. Michael Lee-Chin O.J., Lieutenant Governor Mayann E. Francis, The Hon. Jean Augustine, world heavyweight boxing champion Dr. Lennox Lewis, The Hon. Mr. Justice Michael Tulloch, Dr. Graca Machel, Ms. Naomi Campbell, Mr. Andre De Grasse and Mr. Walter Chin.
- The University of the West Indies (UWI) graduates are the next generation of leaders in the Caribbean
- Education drives personal development; community development and as a result country development
- Over 665 scholarships and welfare relief of financial assistance for internet services, laptops/tablets, rental accommodation, meals, and the basic necessities for survival have been distributed over 13 years of the UWI Toronto Benefit Awards event
- UWI Toronto Benefit Awards continues its purpose to bring higher education to as many students across the Caribbean as possible
- Education is the great equalizer that transcends race, socio-economic and geographic conditions